Membership
Server Status
30-person vent status
WoWProgress Rank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Deities and Demigods Forum Index -> Member Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeryna
AerynaStarcaller
In-Game Guild Master

re: Guild Chat Guidelines (Required)

For the most part, this hasn't ever been an issue, and I hope won't ever be, but worth articulating just in case. Recently, some events have brought up some questions about where "the line" is in guild chat, and I think it's worth addressing. Buckle up though, it's not simple.

We are an open guild and I love that about us.  We talk about sexuality, news, alcohol, and everything in between. We talk about boobs and other body parts (boobs the most often, to be fair.) and we tease each other and it's always been okay.  We've called each other some names at some point but the redeeming point is we all love each other and we all know that we do.  So far this process has regulated itself, but I think it's worth pointing out some basic guidelines, either as refresher or for new people joining the guild:

1) If someone asks you to stop, you stop.  No exceptions.

2) If you're making a comment about feminism, sexual orientation or a mental disorder, expect one or more people to be offended. Do not be upset at them for being offended. If you continue in a specific vein and people are offended, you forfeit the right to ignorance.  Things will escalate when you knowingly provoke a sensitive topic. What else did you expect? Just try not to provoke it to begin with, please.

3) If you bring up a controversial topic specifically to cause drama and/or don't stop when asked, that will be grounds for immediate removal from the guild.

4) Number 1 is the golden rule.

We're a pretty low-key guild. We just want to have fun.  Does that mean censorship? I'd like to think not; we curse, talk about sex and booze and everything else, but we like each other enough to be conscientious of what would be inflammatory or insensitive to other people.  And when we mess up and act like jerks and say something that hurts someone else, we apologize.

We don't carry on and be upset at people who get hurt. We may be confused why, but we care enough about people to know that it's okay.  Sometimes the day isn't right.  Sometimes it triggers a past relationship that hurts. And we move on and deal with it, we don't pick at it, we might ask later, but we don't dig at stuff that is clearly causing problems.  We're nice people, and we want to support each other.  Let's not forget that.

Mostly: we should always respect everyone else in the guild.  Bottom line.  Respect.  Don't make anyone uncomfortable. Be cool.  Be awesome.  (It's what we're good at.)

-Aery

Also - the mean guild notes should stop. Saw some a couple weeks ago, none latey, but if I see any more I will take away privileges for editing them.  We're all friends here, let's be a little bit nicer, okay? Remember; we like each other.

---Thoughts?  Questions?  Disagree? Lemme know!  Always open to ideas, suggestions, thoughts, etc from all of you so let me know what you think!!

Joseph4th
Demigod

It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase.

"I'm offended by that."

Well, so fucking what? 

"I saw hate in a graveyard"

Stephen Fry

The Guardian, 2005

...just like to pull that quote out when people talk about being offended. Sorry if it offends anybody... or am I? I'm not sure anymore.

Well, it did gave me cause to think for a moment. It's true though, just because somebody is offended by something does not really mean that the offending party has to stop. The talk stops because we respect the other persons feelings.

Similarly, freedom of speech means we can say what we want. It does not mean we don't have to face the consequences of saying it though. In this context, the end consequence could be getting kicked. But at least you were free to keep saying what you wanted (and free to keep offending people) right up to the bitter end.

Not you, Vaol, of course. Just saying.... Does that offend you...? ;-)

Maybe the Canadian should hold a niceness and politeness seminar? ^_^

But really, not a bad idea to update/dust off this one off. Now if more people just checked the site.

Aeryna
AerynaStarcaller
In-Game Guild Master

I think you all have good points - so fucking what if someone's offended. But, we all care, so we don't continue to offend them. I guess the bottom line is: let's just all be nice.  Heh.

Carcharia
Demigod

I think that of the people who have posted on this thread that are well aware of these consequences and that all people involved here are respectful enough to know when they have wronged someone else.  The problem is when we encounter people who are being malicious for the sake of being malicious.  I feel that we need more of a wait-and-see approach while we see what people are up to.  I just don't want anyone getting their feelings hurt because of the callousness of people that aren't really involved in the guild at this point and time.

On a side note: a gassy antelope. That is all.

Bascus
Demigod

My comments were more about social commentary, not guild chat specific.

Jump to: